Tuesday, August 2, 2011

a career in orthoptics




The past few months have been an ever lasting struggle to figure out what I want to do after college. I had always been so set on what I wanted to do. But these last few months things changed along with my mindset. I came to realize that I wanted something different with my life. I want to be young and travel, I want to start a family before I'm 30, and I don't want to be almost $100,000 in debt before I even start my first day of work.  But trying to zero in on what exactly I want to do has been tougher then ever.

I've finally come to the decision that I would like to pursue a career as an orthoptist. What is an orthoptist? In simple terms an orthoptist is a physical therapist for the eyes. They treat visual problems such as lazy eye and double vision. They usually work along side opthamologist to come up with treatment plans for their patients. Its only two years after college and all I need is my bachelors degree. The perfect option for me at this point. Applications are due in March so I will be spending all of my winter break preparing my applications. I'm excited and scared but I think I have a good chance of getting accepted into one of the programs. The only thing is that there is only one program in California, and I cannot afford to live in LA. So I'm going to have to pack up and move to another state. I'm also going to have to find a way to live. I wouldn't qualify for a conventional loan. They do have special loans for the program, but I think they only give out 2 a year. Yikes! But I'm not going to let that stop me. If its meant to be then I will find a way.  I'm scared but excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts