Friday, May 24, 2013
POST-GRADUATE: HOW TO SCORE YOUR DREAM POSITION
This past week marked a year that I have been out of college. I can't believe that it has already been a year. And oh what a learning experience this past year has been. I am happy (and humbled) to have scored my dream position and have had this ideal post-graduate life of mine become real. But of course it wasn't always that way. I've only been working in my current position for four months and before I got this position I was a hot mess. I was broke (no more student loans to help cover my rent), working part-time in a job that bored me, and felt downright helpless at times. I graduated thinking I would land a job right away due to my biology major and living in an area with lots of jobs in that field. My confidence was at all an time high. But as I applied for 100s of jobs, and only got a handful of interviews I started to feel bad about myself. I couldn't handle it. Thank God for the support of my wonderful mother and boyfriend who encouraged me day in and day out. It was my 23rd birthday in September when I decided it was time to make some changes. I was going to step my game up and get a hold of my life.
1. Get some experience! I learned pretty quickly that my degree was going to make me qualified for the job, but it wasn't going to land me an interview (or the position). Internships and volunteering are the best way to get experience. Sure paid is awesome, but those are few and far between. Everything little skill you can add to your resume, gives you a leg up on your competition. I remember I started one internship and quit just a week later, because I learned that it was going to give me the skills/experience I needed for the dream job I wanted. Luckily, the same organization I was interning for had volunteer positions that did give me the experience I needed. And so I started volunteering; on my birthday, and early on Sundays (which happened to be my only days off at that time). Its all about sacrifice! I got a chance to include all that wonderful experience on my resume AND THEN elaborate on it during my interview. Could you believe when I went into my interview at the end they told me they would let me know later on if I was selected for a second interview. Guess what? They ended up calling me less than a week later and offered me the position! Hardwork pays off ladies.
2. Tailor your resume! I edited my resume so many times. In fact I kept many different versions of my resume saved on my computer depending on what type of job I was applying for (administrative, lab rat, non-profit, etc). You really want your skills to be specific to the position you are applying for. You want to prove that you would be not only a perfect fit for that position, but can bring a little extra. When I would learn something new when volunteering, I'd be sure to add it to my resume as soon as I got home. Don't make your resume a freakin' essay, but also don't leave out valuable skills.
3. Breakdown your goals! I knew my main goal was to get my dream position, but I didn't know how the hell I was going to get there. I started by breaking down my goals, and making smaller goals for myself. I told myself I would apply for 2 jobs everyday. I kept a journal of jobs I would apply to. I wanted to keep track of the hours I volunteered. Celebrate your small accomplishments and know that they are brining you one step closer to your ultimate goal.
4. Broaden your horizons! Don't be stuck on one location or one company. Sure it may seem right to you at the moment, but who knows if really end up a bad fit. If you broaden your horizons it leaves you open to more opportunities. I applied for jobs all around the state, even though I knew that meant leaving the city I loved and possibly ending my relationship. Its not an ideal economy at the moment, so you simply cannot be picky. Remember, there are lots of other recent grads out there wanting the same position. In the end, I did have to move to a new city for my dream job. Sure, its not my most ideal place. But someone gave me the opportunity because they saw something it me.
4. Keep busting ass! Seriously. As I mentioned before I started an internship and quit and volunteered during my days off. In addition, I got into contact with professionals and asked them for advice. I considered signing up for community college classes just so I could take a class that required an internship that I wouldn't be able to require on my own. Look at your options, never stop busting butt, and know that it will all be worth it in the long wrong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
The first week of 2014 has already been working on me and refining me in many ways. Although there were some tears, pain, and heartbreak th...
-
Right now I am in the pursuit of life . And by life, I don't mean mere existence within a body. I mean fully living life; creating ...
-
I can finally get back to living my life . The last two months have been a whirlwind of all sorts of craziness. I was working 10+ hou...
-
Good evening dolls! I am exhausted from another rough week, but I am trying to take it all in stride. This was my first week at work on m...
-
Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you had a joyful day surrounded by loved ones. I feel like this month has been a little bit of a whirl...
No comments:
Post a Comment