Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentines Day Feelings



I remember this time last year I wrote this post, describing my feelings on valentines day. And a year later I still have the same honest feelings. I believe that Valentines is a wonderful holiday. We live in a world that is so sick and messed up, so why shouldn't we have a day to make on focus on loving one another? Of course, love should be shown and expressed everyday of the year. But thats easier said than done with the hustle and bustle that comes with life. Why not have a day to make you focus and think about the important people in your life and let them know how much you care about them. Whether, it be a phone call, a card, or a romantic dinner. Jesus just wanted us to love each other, and even though this holiday is not a religious one, I do believe its a holiday that encompasses christian values.

Thats not to say that I don't think valentines day is skewed by people. I feel that its turned into a competition (and sometimes not on purpose) on how much love one receives in terms of flowers, gifts, and other acts. We can thank social media like facebook, twitter, and instagram for contributing to this. I think this is what has left people who are single with bitter feelings about holidays. And I completely understand. Even though I have been single for some years now, I have never "hated" valentines day. But there have definitely been times where I felt lonely and wished to have some loving on the holiday. I know its hard not to feel this way, but this is not the way to go. Don't let other people showing off, make you feel crappy about this day.

This time last year I was single. I spent my valentines day in the library studying for an intense midterm the following day. But I would have never thought that a month later I would start dating an amazing boy. This will be my first valentine in a handful of years where I am in a relationship, but yet another where I have to spend it alone. Once again, I am doing long distance during this holiday. I am honestly, just so excited to video chat with him and tell him how much I care about him. I don't care about the flowers or having him do something extremely romantic. Of course, I couldn't say the same in previous relationships. This just shows how I feel like I am in the right relationship, and how I have grown as an individual. But don't feel bad for me, because I get to spend a three day weekend with him. So I guess I am just post-poning my valentines day for something better.

Happy Valentines Day! 
Remember you are loved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts