Tuesday, February 14, 2012

no love on valentines day



I have a love/hate relationship with valentines day, and my viewpoint currently stands in the middle about this holiday. I feel that if you are in love or have lots of love in your life, you are going to view valentines day as a significant and meaningful holiday. I mean really, we all want love in our lives. So having a day set out to celebrate all this love and feel special is going to be great. Then we have those people that are single and/or lacking love in their life. So being forced to look at other people expressing their love is kind of a slap in the face. You feel inadequate and like you are greatly missing something in your life. Because thats all life is really about, right? Love. This is what I feel is at the center of the great divide that is valentines day.

Out of my whole valentines day I have probably celebrated only 3 with a significant other. Being a single girl for the past few years has left me feeling lonely. As I inch further along my 20s the fear of being alone becomes worse, and I think to myself when will my future boyfriend walk into my life? Valentines day just waves this issue right. in. front. of. my. face. But valentines love  includes all types of love....family and friends too. Unfortunately, I don't get showered with love from my family either. I come from the type of family where we don't ever say "I love you". Its more of something that is assumed than heard, and the belief is actions are supposed to show someone's love for you. Which is true. I also don't really get treated like a "princess" in my family. Which means I don't get flowers or cards sent to me on this holiday.  I am not trying to have a pity party here. I am just trying to shed some light on why some people consider valentines day a regular day, and why others tend to get bitter. I am not going to lie, I am envious of the many girls that get taken out to dinner by their significant others or flowers sent to them by their families on this day. But I also hope for a future of that type of love in my life. Don't be ostentatious about the things you receive on valentines, but instead be humbled and blessed. Not everyone is as lucky. But one day I hope to become one of those people that 100% loves valentines day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts